Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Cold Weather Shrimp Boil

Shrimp Boil, Low-Country Boil, Frogmore Stew, whatever you call it- it's one of our favorite. He likes shrimp, I like sausage, we split the veggies.

It seems to me though that shrimp boil is more of a warm weather dish. I'll make it basically any time between April and October but never in the winter. I was thinking about sausage though.....that happens when your husband comes home smelling like hot dogs (literally, he worked the concession stand at school last night). So I decided to raid my pantry and see what I could come up with.

I had a recipe for a sausage hash from Pinterest that was really good. I have some hearty vegetables on hand (mushrooms, potatoes, bell peppers, onion). I have half a pack of kielbasa and some fancy spicy sausage from our Hermann trip. I also have crab legs. I had to fill up the tank anyway so it wasn't a big deal for me to swing in the grocery store and grab a red pepper and yellow squash to add to the pile.

So my winter shrimp boil is going to be sauteed. I'll slice and dice it all, crisp the potatoes in one pan, soften the veggies to just tender in the other. I'll add it all then throw in the meat and some garlic with pinches of salt and pepper. The crab legs I could break apart and saute up as well but I'll just warm them in the oven per usual and throw on top of the platter before serving.

It sounds yummy- it should taste yummy. And it will be a nice warm reminder of summertime on this bitterly cold day. 7 degrees everyone, it is 7 degrees outside. And feels like -15. I realize Minnesota has it worse but come on, it's Minnesota. They're used to the cold. We're not. And this only-lived-in-Northern-Missouri-5-years-yet definitely isn't used to it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!