Saturday, January 10, 2015

Chili Contest 2014


Every year at work I host a chili contest. Host is a loose term. I really just keep track of the contestants and eaters, split up the prize money, and since we're the FCS classroom, all the crockpots and eating takes place in there.

Normally I make 2 chilis each year- one on my dime and one on the FCS department dime. Perks of the job. This year I just didn't have time or the heart really, so I just made mine. Last year I won the contest with the Thick and Meaty. I could have stuck with that but instead I went for my easier classic chili. The recipes originally from Paula Dean but of course I've changed it some over the years. This chili won 3rd place about 3 years ago.

Now remember that chili is a subjective dish. So I'm only giving you approximate quantities. You can change out ingredients and spices to make it however you wish!! Excuse the crappy pictures but the SLR battery was dead so point & shoot had to do. Not to mention the worst lighting ever in our kitchen.

Start by browning your beef- I used plan old hamburger, 2 lbs. I season mine lightly as I cook it. I also cook it in the stock pot I'll use for the whole recipe. Why wash 2 dishes?! Our hamburger is pretty lean so I just let the fat cook off some and not bother with draining it later. Obviously draining it would be healthier.
 Step 2: add in your diced veggies. I used onion and green bell pepper. You can throw in some jalapeno or red pepper too. In this case, 1 large onion, 2 green peppers. Oh, and some minced garlic. I used garlic salt on the hamburger so I didn't add too much.
 Step 3: Canned tomato time! The original recipe wants 2 14-oz cans of Mexican-style stewed tomatoes. I have two problems with this: 1) stewed tomatoes are pretty big tomato hunks, and 2) I've never found Mexican-style ever in the store. So I used 2 cans of stewed tomatoes with peppers and 2 cans of diced tomatoes. I still went through pulling out the big tomato pieces and cutting them up smaller. I just don't like giant tomato hunks.
 Step 4: beans and seasonings. 2 15-oz cans of kidney beans. I like color variety so I did one can of light and one can of dark. Oh, and drain and rinse those beans before you add them. That bean juice is thick and gross in my opinion. Then 1/4 cup of chili powder and a couple tsps of salt. Sprinkle fresh ground black pepper according to your preference. You can also add a splash of cayenne and paprika but remember both of those spices (and cumin) are ingredients of chili powder (chili powder is a combo spice).
 Stir and simmer and taste test till you get it just right. The picture makes it look real orange, but it's a true chili red (gets it from the chili powder).

This size batch fills a large crockpot and feeds 8-10. Normally I make this size then immediately freeze half for Coach and I to have later in the winter. Why cook twice when you can cook and freeze once?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!