Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Things I've learned since being engaged


Being engaged is fun. I earned the fancy French title "fiancé." I have awesome new bling on a previously-always-naked finger. Plus there's the obvious benefit of finally putting my dream wedding into a real thing. What fun!

There are weird draw-backs though. People just ask you these questions and I'm forced to give the polite answer. To the people with whom I'm actually friends, I laugh in their face. To the students people with whom I'm not actually friends, I have to bite my tongue. Here are my personal favorites and my would-be responses if manners and professionalism didn't hold me back.

  1. I can't wait for your wedding, it's going to be so great! You're not invited, please stop thinking you are. Plus it's rude to assume you are since that means you're inviting yourself to my wedding, manners please!
  2. Where are you going for your honeymoon? We haven't been engaged a week, we don't have a date set, but YES, of course we have our honeymoon planned.
  3. My cousin went to this wedding where they had this thing, are going to have this thing? No
  4. I have all my old wedding planning stuff, do you want me to bring it to you? To be fair, at first my answer would have been yes. Reality quickly set in and the answer is no, there are tons of wedding planning tools out there and while I realize you put a lot of time in your planning, it is likely not useful to me.
  5. When are you going to have kids? We've been engaged a week. It won't be tomorrow, it won't be 9 months from now, and you're probably not the first person I'll be telling anyway.
  6. Do you love him? No, I just got tired of living by myself and figured this would be a cool way to get a roommate.
  7. I can't wait to see the invitation! You're not invited, please stop thinking you are...
  8. Isn't a summer wedding going to be hot? Actually we chose July because we thought the cool weather would go well with our winter theme.
  9. You should invite like the whole school! Stop talking.
  10. I'll be your bridesmaid if you need one! Why do you think I need one? I have friends.
It really is all fun though. I wouldn't trade where I am for anything in the world. And even though these questions make me wonder about people I know in my heart they really do mean well. They just don't know how to express it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, the July comment especially. But you just wait. Wait until you get PREGNANT, then see what people come up with!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!