Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Don't worry Jenny, kids in the 90s got messed up too

So I was reading a favorite blog of mine the other day - the Bloggess of course. She wrote a post about basically white people ruining Latino music via translation but turns out the songs kind of creepy in its original version too (maybe? I didn't check her translation but I believe it anyway). So kids in the 70s were taught a weird song that's really just a poor translation of another weird song but isn't Carmen Miranda great?

So I watched the video link she included. And I realized I knew the song. Or the version my childhood self had learned which is nothing close to accurate since I knew NO Spanish as a child. But I have good reason, because the only reason I know the song, or even about Carmen Miranda really, is from Jerry Lewis. 

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis movies were some of our favorites when we were kids. Scared Stiff is a special favorite. So here you go Jenny, I'm a kid for the 90s who learned Carmen Miranda from Jerry Lewis doing Carmen Miranda. And no. I don't know the song past the point of the record getting stuck. Obviously since the record got stuck.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!