Thursday, January 16, 2014

Parmesan Crusted Potatoes Au Gratin

There is nothing wrong with the title of this post just like there was nothing wrong with the recipe. Naturally I didn't follow it. In fact I don't even have the original link. It was so simple I just did it.

Slice your potatoes (I left skins on) thinly, of equal thickness. If you have a mandolin- use it. I didn't and mine turned out just fine.

Heat a cup or so of heavy whipping cream on low heat in a saucepan. Stir in some fresh or dried rosemary, some fresh or dried thyme, and little nutmeg. Add those seasoning to your preference. I did equal rosemary and thyme (maybe a teaspoon of the dried stuff?) then just a pinch of nutmeg. Simmer so the flavors mix.

Butter a pan they make a layer of potatoes. I made mine overlap each other. Pour some of the cream mix over the potatoes. Liberally sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese over the top with a bit of salt and pepper. The idea is that the cream dampens the potatoes so the cheese sticks.

Do another layer the same way, then another, and another till you're out of potatoes. Pour the remaining cream mixture all over the top. I also added a bit of shredded mozzarella to every other layer just to increase the cheesiness.

Cover the pan with foil and bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove the foil, put a fresh layer of Parmesan on top and return to over. Let the thing bake till the cheese on top is melted and lightly browned.

I served mine with some ham and steamed green beans. Delightful!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!