Saturday, January 11, 2014

Happy Holidays! (2 weeks late)

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season. I sure did. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I lost all time to blog! I truly did enjoy the holiday season though :)

I thought I'd do a quick post on gift-giving. It's the best part of the holidays for me, picking out those fun somethings for those special someones. Some people get really stressed by it though and it becomes a burden. While I will certainly do my fair share of complaining, the truth is that I can usually find something for everyone. I don't think I'm the gift queen by any means, but I think I do a pretty good job. Here are my tips for finding those fun, unique gifts.

1. Uncommongoods.com. They have such fun interesting stuff. You just need to browse through their options and when you see something you like, pin it. Chances are you'll come across an opportunity to gift it to someone sooner rather than later.

2. Keep a secret gift pin board. Secret obviously because you don't want people to see what you thought of for them. Pin board so that you actually remember those gift ideas you had. I constantly come across things online I think would be a good gift but then there's no upcoming reason to gift it. So I simply pin the idea, put the person(s) name in the description and voila! When I'm blanking on gift ideas all my previous genius thoughts are safely stored waiting for me.

3. Use the gift shops. Seriously. If someone likes sports, go to the team's store. Same goes with bands/musicians. The thing is, most of the stuff (a lot of the stuff) sold in the team store isn't sold at other retailers. That makes it more likely to be a one-of-a-kind item that they person wouldn't normally get for themselves.

4. Customize. When in doubt, add a person's name or initials to something. It makes it instantly personal. An average casserole pan is just a plain casserole plan. Have the person's name engraved into the glass though and it's a fun, unique gift that shows a little extra thought. There are several online retailers that sell personalized items. Just google it and see what comes up.

5. Buy out of season. You can still get summer stuff in the winter time. You just won't find it in store. Get on board the online bandwagon and hit those websites! If not the most original gift, you certainly won't see a bunch of other people gifting new beach towels for Christmas.

6. Accessorize. Buy a cooler- fill the cooler. BBQ tools? Throw in some new rib rub. New blouse, add the earrings. It's the little things that show you didn't grab the single first thing you saw. You put effort in the gift by finding coordinating items.

7. Wrap pretty practical. Little things have big impact when they all meet a common theme. It's easy to head to a craft store, buy a basket, and put everything in it with a pretty ribbon tied on top. Not only is it pretty, but practical, and handmade which makes it seem (you guessed it)- personal!

8. Groupon. I love Groupon; it's the only way Coach and I get to go out for a nice dinner. But I also buy items from Groupon Goods. I gift Groupon's too. If you're the type who gives gift cards, get the most bang for your buck. Your $50 budget means more when it gets $100 worth of merchandise. Just watch those expiration dates! No point in giving a golf groupon if the snow won't melt before it expires.

That's about it. I love online shopping and do a lot of it. But if I'm buying straight from the store, I make sure the gift is well-rounded, and/or wrapped with care and love. (Aaaaawwwww) The holidays are over but a new year means another round of birthday! Happy gifting!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!