Thursday, August 30, 2012

Dining Room Bistro Set

This isn't a chalk paint post per se. But I did use chalk paint again (at least my way).

I needed a table and chair set for my dining room/craft room. I found a pretty drop leaf for $20 at an antique store and 2 chairs for $40 at another. I chose an ivory and green color combo and decided to focus more on design than on distress.

Table Before:


I chose to do a diamond pattern on the top. First I painted the whole table ivory, then used a 4-ft level to pencil in my lines. I taped off the stripes going one direction, did 2 coats of green, then repeated for the other direction.



It took about 4 hours total to paint the table. I finished up with some tiny green dots along the skirt, and a bit of green on a section of the legs.

Finished Table:


Chairs Before:


I chose to go mostly green on the chairs to balance the white of the table. I spray-painted the seats cream (as best matched to my ivory color as possible) and then taped them off so I could paint the rest. The chairs each took 2 coats to cover and about 5 hours total. All those round surfaces are a pain to paint! I finished up by painted the flower detail on the chair backs ivory. The chairs got minor distressing with some sanding and wood stain- just enough to make painting imperfections look intentional.

Finished Chairs:


The Whole Set:


Everying got a good wax coat and is currently in use in my dining/craft room!

Special note- I used cheap Walmart paint on this project (2 quarts plus the spray paint cost less than $15). While I could make the paint look right by adding the plaster, it still didn't cover as well as the Valspar from Lowe's. Since this furniture set is going to get lots of wear and tear, I didn't worry too much about it. It did make 2 coats an absolute necessity though.



1 comment:

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!