Monday, May 21, 2012

Pot Roast Nachos

So I went to M&S Grill for my girl's night out. We had pot roast nachos and they were amazing. Such a simple concept right?! Pot roast on nachos instead of chicken. Easy peasy. And seeing as how I'm a foods teacher, I decided to conquer this piece of heavenly delight.

Originally I figured I would just wing it. I would by some big tortilla chips, spread them with pot roast, a little fresh pico (easily purchased in your grocery's deli department), sprinkle with cheese, and broil till melted and toasty. Easy right? Well I decided to investigate the web anyway just in case there was a copy-cat recipe out there.....and there was! It was a little more intense than I was figuring on so I hesitated, but I had the time, money, and inclination to take it on. Boy am I glad I did!

The secret is the aioli. I have never made one before so I was a little nervous. Fortunately this is kind of a cheater aioli and is pretty much just flavored mayo. I did, however, remember again why you should wear gloves when chopping peppers because that Serrano juice has been dangerously close to my eye more than once this evening. I also tried my hand at making my own chips, and while tasty they weren't as crispy as I desired. If I used store-bought chips I think the saltiness of the dish might be too high (I don't like salty). I discovered my problem was the tortillas I fried. I use flour and should have used corn.

My aioli tasted good but I had twice as much as I needed, it's very spicy so a little goes a long way, and mine was a little runny. Luckily it refrigerates and should keep for a while. In the future I'll use less lemon juice to make it a bit thicker (I didn't use any of the canola btw). I also sprinkled mine with a Mexican blend of cheese- I liked having the white and orange mixture but the seasonings weren't needed. The future versions will probably just have straight up cheddar. I also sauteed my vegetables like a good little FACS teacher, but it was stupidly time consuming so next time I'm just going to use the pre-made pico. It'll work. Now the pot roast- ideally you would use your left over roast. I don't have left over roast. When I make pot roast, we eat the whole thing. But I like "leftover" roast recipes so I've come across a cheater roast that's really good. It's the Hormel brand Beef Roast Au Jus and is super convenient. Not to mention pretty cheap. Here's the final product:
In case you can't tell- I couldn't wait to try a bite before taking the picture.

And here's the recipe, as found here:

Delicious Pot Roast Nachos

  • Time 20 minutes
  • Serves 4

Ingredients

  • 4 each 8 inch tortillas cut into quarters and fried
  • 2 cups leftover pot roast (rough chopped)
  • 1 cup chili aioli (see below)
  • 1 cup peppers, sliced and sautéed
  • 1 cup yellow onion, sliced and sautéed
  • 3 cups shredded cheddar or mixed cheese
  • For the Chili Aioli:
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
  • 1 Serrano chili, diced
  • 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1-2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • Sugar, to taste
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

How to make it

  • Lay tortillas flat on a baking sheet
  • spoon 1 tablespoon of chili aioli on each chip
  • divide the peppers and onions on all the chips
  • divide the pot roast on all the chips
  • divide the cheese on all the chips
  • broil until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes)
  • top with salsa and green onions and serve
  • For the Chili Aioli:
  • • In a food processor, combine the jalapeño, Serrano chili, red pepper flakes, and garlic until finely minced. Add the lemon juice and mayonnaise.
  • • Gradually add the canola oil until the mixture is slightly thinner than mayonnaise. Season with the sugar, salt, and pepper.
  • • Refrigerate until ready to use.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!