Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Glue Gone Bad

Hey fellow scrapbookers- I'm sure when I say "glue gone bad" you know exactly what I mean. We've all been there. Glue that makes pages nasty and wrinkly, doesn't adhere strong enough, discolors, etc. It's a pain plus a disappointment.
Well I decided to make a calendar for my mother for Christmas. I used old photos of my sisters and I and decorated each page for each month. I am most definitely aware that you can do this all digitally now, but I'm a paper and glue scrapper. I knew also, that this was a fairly cheap kit, and that this wouldn't be a calendar to last the ages. My plan ultimately was to let her enjoy it for the year and then I have an album ready to stick the pages in at the end of the year. A sort of seasonal memories scrapbook if you will.

Unfortunately, I was put in a tough spot with adhesives and ended up buying off-brand glue. BAD IDEA! I have always used the Elmer's Craft Glue and been please enough (all liquid glue results in some wrinkling but glue sticks don't). The off-brand stuff I got though was worse than I had ever seen or used before. Check this out


Ugly rippling keeps the pages from laying flat which triples the whole size of the calendar. Oh well, Mom loved it anyway and once in an album it won't be as noticeable. My lesson was learned though, and at the advice of Missy, I purchased a tape gun. Mine is the Scotch Advanced Tape Glider and was definitely a wise investment!
Example of one of the pages- August was the Florida to page to commemorate all our summer trips to Destin. Although, we normally spent August starting school and then went to Florida in September. The calendar felt awkward though having a fall-like page in the middle of very summery pages. So I used artistic license and did Florida in August and school in September.

*PS- sorry for the crummy photos. My good camera's battery was dead so I was left using the old point-and-shoot. :)

1 comment:

  1. ATG gun--one of the best things you'll ever purchase!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Share your tips, ideas, or comments!